Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Nineteen going on twelve

You can ask all of my closest friends and they'll tell you that I've always had more guy friends than girl friends for as long as they've known me. I have no idea why, maybe it's just harder to really bond with girls, or maybe guys are less judgmental and more easy going, or less likely to bitch (some people probably think otherwise).

Either way, I've been surrounded by guys for much of my life, speaking their language and neutralising their lewd jokes. It even got to a point last year when they started to say I wish there were girls here...

Anyhow, I haven't been completely detached from the whole sisterhood thing my whole life; I can remember in primary school we were fully convinced that boys had cooties, and you could clearly see they were dirty anyway, so cooties (or any other unidentifiable disease) was a safe presumption, therefore it was all friendship bands and My Little Ponies. Sadly, we had to go our seperate ways after primary four, and it was boy-city from then on.

Lately, I've realised that I'm starting to go rediscover femininininity and I'm actually really enjoying it. It could be the sense of loyalty to my boyfriend that makes me a little less inclined to get close to other guys (not that he minds), but I'm so thankful that one of my housemates doesn't burp, fart, or have balls to scratch (before they condemn me to a week of chores, none of my housemates are that male). It's nice being able to compare boyfriends, talk about a magazine without having to make reference to that 'hot, nearly-naked chick', and talk about girly things in general. It's even more fun when my housemate's girlfriend joins us too.

It's like I'm reclaiming my girly years after spending far too much time lost in the jungles of testosterone.

No comments: