Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Nombor yang salah, wei.

The following conversation was carried out in Chinese from her side and English on mine, but for the sake of my embarrassment regarding the level of my Mandarin, it will be reproduced, to the best of my ability, in English.

Woman: Ah mei, have you eaten?
Me: Hello?
Woman: Have you eaten?
Me: I'm sorry, who are you looking for?
Woman: I know your voice, I know it's you. Have you eaten?
Me: Hello?
Woman: Hello.
Me: I think you have the wrong number.
Woman: Oh very funny, I know it's you (lah)! Have you eaten or not?
Me: No, seriously, I'm not who you think I am and you have the wrong number. Goodbye.

Then the phone rings again.

Woman: Eh, I know who you are, I listen to your voice and I already know! Have you eaten?!
Me: I have no idea what you're talking about and who you want to talk to, but you have the wrong number.
Woman: Eh, don't play! I'm getting angry already! Have you eaten?
Me: What? Sorry? Huh?
Woman: I'm angry! Stop saying you're not you, I know who you are!
Me: ...
Woman: Have you eaten or not?

Then I hung up.

She gets 10 points for persistence and stubborness.

2 comments:

viv said...

hahahaha!! that's juz hilarious!!! wat's so impt abt whether the person have eaten or not??? lol~ weird persistance in that.

Anonymous said...

In most asian cultures, the availability of food wasn't always a given. To most it was a luxury and a rare one at that.

As such, the practice of asking another person if they had eaten or not, became a standard way of asking how they were.

That said however... She seemed nuts not to even mention your name.