Thursday, August 03, 2006

In no hurry

The tiny island of Singapore doesn't feel so tiny when you're trying to cross it on public transport. I have more transport rants. You have been warned.
  1. Why does the person sitting next to me always nod off in my direction?! On a good day, it's usually the one on my right. On a bad day, I have two heads dodging in and out of my field of vision as I try to make myself as small as possible and avoid unnecessary human contact.
  2. Public transport has made me shun human contact. The last thing you want at the end of a humid day is to have someone step on you, sleep on you, or back into you with the lurch of the halting vehicle. Now I wonder if the concious aversion has developed into an unconcious reflex. Weng might be in for a surprise this weekend.
  3. Why are the seats so small?! True, 50 percent of the population might be size 4 and female, but what about the other non-Lilliputians.
  4. The estimated times on the bus schedule regarding frequency can be converted using a complex mathematical formula with several variables, all to the power of a gazillion.
  5. After six weeks, I have learned that the only way to avoid injuring everyone else around you during the rush hour ride is to keep your knees loose.
  6. By the end of my six weeks, I would have spent at least 90 hours trying to get to places. That's almost four days of bussing and MRT-ing.
I'm going home this weekend! Yay!

No comments: