Thursday, May 04, 2006

In the thick of it

Weng and I are doing some simultaneous stressing. He's the most amazing last minute person I know. With his dissertation due tomorrow, he's still working on it and he has his brother proof-reading it in a different time zone all at the same time. I admit, he's fortunate to have his brother because I could not think of anyone more suited to correct it.

As for me handling exams and all. Wednesday night was sleepless because the weather's suddenly turned KL-hot and the impending doom of the fluid mechanics paper weighed heavily in my mind along with all the equations and carefully drilled proofs. All this cramming makes me feel like a dumper truck - a vehicle for facts and figures, working on holding it all in my sieve-like memory until I can hit the exam paper and release whatever's left in a mess of scribbles, tipex, and varying degrees of panic.

Fluids wasn't as bad as it could've been and certainly better than Stress Analysis and Machine System Dynamics (I think). I really hate second guessing my grade because that just sort of jinxes it.

I can't believe I have time to blog.

Statistics tomorrow. They've changed the format this year from a very charitable 'here are 8 questions, choose 5' to 'here, do all five'. I think they're just cutting printing costs. The lecturer had to produce a sample paper, which he did by taking the exam from the year before, omitting three questions, and changing the instructions on the front. I feel so unprepared.


My sister texted me instructions from my mother asking me to find out if I'm registered to vote. I was like, "Um, what me? But there's like only one party, isn't there?' I don't live in Singapore enough to have opinions about which group of school-uniform-wearing men are qualified enough to lead the country. So far they've been getting along perfectly. Besides political opinions have to be approved and cross-checked before they can be opined where I come from. Free speech? Nah, look where that got America.

No comments: