Thursday, March 12, 2009

Old in so many way

With time to finally catch up on relevant culture, I find out how far behind the 'now' curve I really am. Previous indicators, such as "How do you not know what song this is?!", not knowing how to download using torrents, and getting excited about the iPhone in the last couple of weeks should have given it away.

Working for the last 18 months has left me in the metaphorical dust physically, emotionally, and technologically. So these are the things I've done over the last week:

1. Learnt about the new Blogger dashboard and gadgets. Admittedly I had to first blow the dust off this site, but I then sat through a Youtube video introducing me to the wonderful world of blog technology, and then wrote that whole post marvelling at all the new things I've added.

2. Discovered Twitter. I don't really see the point in this given that I'm too cheap to pay for internet on my mobile, I'm largely homebound anyway, and I'm soon going to be deprived of the social interaction and a job to make snarky, real-time gibes about. And then there are the other mediums from a bygone age: the Facebook status, email, and SMS. I'm now stuck with the conundrum of how to coordinate coverage.

3. Learnt about RSS feeds so I could combine items 1. and 2. and be like Rudy and put my Twittering on my blog so that my ego is now complete. And because what Rudy has, Ash also wants for most part (money, yes, a cool job he loves, yes, that way with words, yes, the wit, yes, the girls, less so).

4. Got on Google calendar, only to be reminded of the lack of social life by the acres of blank white space.

I feel the pressure of keeping up, reading all those FB notifications about 13-year-olds adding the application to their iPhone/Blackberry. I look at magazines telling me the 80's are back for spring and I'm thinking, Damn, of the few things I can recall nowadays, I actually remember that decade the first time it came around.

I feel embarrassed when I take out my notebook and pen (yes, they still exist) and try to sort out of my life. Teenagers scare me - I try not to make eye contact when I pass them in the street, and I use cuss words like 'poop' and 'oh my goodness'. I swear I say 'dude' just to feel a little bit cool, and get the urge to start speaking the speak, only to find out that they don't use those words anymore.

Gosh, I am old.

1 comment:

The Ruud said...

Whuuuut. You've GOT to have the girls if you want to complete the great Rudy challenge