Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Procrastination nation

Being unemployed has it's perks. I'm completely up to speed to almost all of the relevant TV Hollywood has to offer and I've even started on the backlog of Kim Possible episodes from 5 years ago - they're on Season 4! What super-hero cartoon has a season 4! How many times can she kick Draken's ass?!
Answer: 68 times. so far.

Then there's the threat of getting lost in the couch for the rest of the day, especially with the cold snowy front threatening to descend any moment now. The disincentives are piling up quickly. I'm so unmotivated about job hunting that I'd rather flat hunt and I'm not due to move until JULY. People should make their list of inverted priorities and run your life backwards based on tasks you'd rather not do - you'd get a lot of those relatively less nasty things done. So far mine goes:

4. Flat hunting
3. Financial budgeting
2. House cleaning
1. Job hunting

Too bad I've finally met my career coach. Pfft to the motivated version of me that booked this meeting last week. She lectured me on having too many disparate ideas on what I want to do next, forced me to focus, let me talk myself into downplaying the copywriting dream, and told me to go through these self assessment tests, apply to these companies, and report back to her within a week. So after running the above exercise and ranking everything in order of least hated task, I went with the self assessment exercise. I tried the one which matches you to a career based on your likes and dislikes:

1. Do you like working with children? NO
2. Do you like working with older people? NO
3. Would you like being in a career that involves providing support and counselling to others? NO
4. Do you like working with numbers? Indifferent.

Fairly straight forward, and because I didn't want more trouble from my coach on what I should be doing next, I tried to massage the results - give consistent qualities that would make me perfectly suited to management consultancy i.e. yes to problem solving, written communication, and travel. Because as a real life job, management consultancy is about as close as I'll get. 70 questions later and a quarter-way warning telling me I was being too positive about everything, I got my result:

1. Advertising copywriter
2. Pet behaviour counsellor

Ta-daa.

2 comments:

The Ruud said...

Ahhh, zoologist fantasies.

Ash said...

i apparently like.