Sunday, June 03, 2007

Mundane matters

It sounds like everyone's on a house hunt of some sort. A couple of 1st years came with their agent to look at our flat on Saturday morning. I was torn between wanting to tell them outright that what they were expected to pay for this place was exorbitant, that the quarterly charges would empty their account, and that after the management turn the heating off at the beginning of spring, you'll be left to shiver uncontrollably through the random cold snaps. But it is a big flat, lots of space so you don't get in each others' faces too much and they've just replaced the windows so they're new and beautiful.

I'm not so ready to go home yet although I know my time back home is limited. Maybe its because I'll be leaving on my own, which always sucks, and my first week back will probably involve struggling to 'teach' Bryan A-level Economics, which I largely fluked through myself. Four years on and I can barely help Cheryl with her first year subjects in a course I'm still doing. As for A-level Economics...right. Time to call in the cavalry: Joel.

I've also discovered Ugly Betty. It's like an extended version of The Devil Wears Prada, only the ugly duckling doesn't seem to have a fat hope in hell of becoming a swan, which only makes her even more endearing. I'm addicted, but going back soon, and we're all fighting over bandwidth anyway. So I turned to Amazon.com, which was completely wrong, and left the site with another delivery of books coming in about ten days' time. I guess I'll be eating bread and jam for the rest of the week, which is slightly better than Cheryl, who'll be eating air. I don't starve my sister, her exploding budget has brought it upon herself. Financial control is not a skill that runs through us siblings, it seems. Maybe it's the kind of thing that jumps a generation. Thank goodness for Weng and his spreadsheet though, it could've been worse.

No comments: