Friday, April 24, 2009

Currently employed as: Lady of leisure

So none of the Big 4 firms' consulting practices want me, which is fine. It's just occurred to me that there's probably a difference in the way they define 'consultant' (3 years + managerial experience) as to the way we define consultant (not a partner). I think I was supposed to have been looking at 'business analyst' (a.k.a. data gimp) vacancies instead. Ah, we live and learn. Either way, I guess He knows how frustrated I'd probably be running implementation programs with disillusioned backoffice people, so it could be a good thing.

I'm enjoying the life - long lunches, netball, no rush hour tube madness, but I should really get back on that job thing before the money runs out. My dad told me I've got time so I should write a book, be the next JK Rowling. I can barely hang onto a single idea for long enough to spin it past one paragraph, much less into a 600 page novel. It would be a really short book. My mum said she was kinda expecting I'd be back in KL by June, high hopes regarding my employability indeed.

My job aspiration this week is to be a commercial planner, so I spent today and yesterday getting excited about that. Also had big hopes that I'd get more studying done today, but looks unlikely. The CFA burden is heavy. Literally, and more specifically Book4 (Equity Investments and Alternative Asset Valuation), very heavy. I've been lugging it around London the entire afternoon.

Having said that, it's a beautiful day to make like a pack mule. The sunshine has dulled the edge on my pedestrian rage, and lunch was cheap. I'm almost afraid that this unnaturally warm April is pretty much all there will be to summer. Every day this year seems to be record breaking in some way. Global warming, the financial crisis...we live in interesting times.

Off to game on someone else's PS3!

No comments: