Thursday, April 23, 2009

Why the flu in spring?

I've been so out of everything for the last week and a bit. The flu seems reluctant to leave, flaring up on only the sunniest and most summery days of the year. So I've been home, with a CSI playlist, my CFA books, and the FX markets.

The first looks after itself. Sina.com is amazing, these people who compile season after complete season of couch-potato heaven need to be given an award. I don't even need to touch anything except play, and occasionally pause, when my body demands a toilet break or another tissue box. Did you know we apparently produce 1.5l of snot everyday*? And that amount doubles when you're ill. Someone should call Guinness because I think I'm close to breaking the record. If you dissolve and distill all of the snot out of my accumulated tissues, you could verify that. Can you distill snot? We should ask CSI, they can trace ANYTHING.

My CFA books are guilting me. I keep them close because at some point during the day, the guilt reaches breaking point and I stop everything and crunch through four pages before the steam and the panic runs out.

The FX markets cannot be beaten, as Weng found out today. You'd think that even without reading up on the news, one could just guess and the odds would be fair. There are only two outcomes, either go up or down i.e. 50%. How is it then, that in 8 out of 10 trades you post, the graphs immediately ticks very far the wrong way.

I've been getting some sun, on the way to the tube station, getting myself to netball games. Introduced Weng to mixed versatility today, which is essentially five-a-side netball in a small hall, with no outs and a lot of barely-contained aggression. Just to confuse everyone, you move positions every time you score so the zones you're allowed in keep changing. It was fun and well fought, but too much excitement for me I think, coz I'm still awake.

*BBC Three late night TV, on a programme called Bizarre ER. There was a lady who had her finger ripped off by a dog leash, but I didn't hang around to watch that segment.

No comments: