Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Not another one

Deadlines are drawing tighter and tighter like a noose around our necks as we struggle to get in all those applications on time to an acceptable standard amid a flood of other projects, revision, and tests. The carnage is not pretty, ladies and gentlemen.

To date, the number of applications I've completed are 6, with 2 on the way. I had to pause to list all the firms I've applied to, and I fear the list will get longer as I strive to gather all the due dates for Weng and find out that there are actually companies that I have not applied to. Damn my kiasuism.

Unforunately, they've all sort of blurred into one endless nightmare of an application form and question after question of personality and competency tests that no longer make any sense. My cover letters have similarly turned into a mess of words, words that I've reread so many times, they might as well be in another language because I sure as hell cannot tell if they actually mean anything anymore. I even had to spin a wonderful netball story to describe a situation where I "took one for the team". The story actually happened, but my telling it was so bad, Weng had to review it and edit it for me.

On the bright side, after Weng's exams are done, it's Chinese New Year, and we're going to buy him a teddy bear. I've always wanted to go to that teddy bear factory at Hamley's , and since Weng, during his short time here at the start of term, seemed to be developing an extremely peculiar fondness for talking to Pate (pronounced Pah-tay, not "pait"), we've decided he needs his own one to keep him company in Southampton.

I've started reading Neil Gaiman at long long last and that man is a genius.

No comments: