Sunday, January 01, 2006

And a Happy New Year to you

Midnight slipped by with the monotonous ticking of the clock on the wall, quickly, quietly, and with a pang of disappointment. I didn't get to stand outside with everyone else. I didn't get to see the sky explode with fireworks. I didn't get to wish my most loved ones a Happy New Year the very second 2006 kicked in.

Instead I was huddled in a prayer circle listening. Listening to everyone else's problems, real life problems. They weren't even my problems and it made me miss the countdown and my new year, but in that self-centred moment of bitterness I formed my first resolution of 2006.

I could hold onto the disappointment with clenched fists, regretful that I missed one of my already limited New Years, or I could remember 2005-2006 as the year I sat and listened to someone else about something important to them, being there for someone other than myself.

When I look back on last night, I suppose the only things I really missed were the cans of coloured foam. I got my New Year greetings in, I even got a New Year's kiss, even if it was somewhat chaste, and I got to see a very distant and very late fireworks display.

2006 is a year for growing up, facing up to what adult-hood holds for me, and I think I've already started. So before the first day of the year runs out, I'd like to wish you a fruitful and blessed year filled with love and warm feelings and friends and family. Set out to do what you need to with a positive heart and don't lose sight of your dreams.

No comments: