Saturday, December 31, 2005

Another year wrapped up

I refuse to write anything to do with "The Year That Was". I'll put up pictures soon, the text must be monotonous, you poor but loyal farts. The fact that Weng's busy preparing for his GMAT means that my hitrate's embarrassingly low.

The dark clouds are rolling quickly across the valley pregnant with the promise of another torrential downpour. My dog is having an anxiety attack as she looks to get as high up as possible on the furniture (she's sitting on the dining table), despite the fact that we're about 20 stories above ground. I imagine she's worried about the water.

While I write this I'm looking through suckball and they've linked this. I took a moment to read it as I'm sure you'll do too. I want to laugh at the sheer ludricousness. Some of the article is still applicable I suppose, yes, it would be nice if your partner came home to a dinner that's been prepared in time or if the house is in some semblance of order, but the rest is just crap.

The content of magzines over the last 50 years has changed dramatically. That one asks you to never question your partner's judgement or integrity, hang on every single word of his more important topics of conversation, and roll over and beg for a scratch. The magazines of today tell you to take control of your life, to put yourself forward, that you have selfworth, and that life begins at 40. All because the pants happened somewhere in that half a century.

There was another article I came across about how much your degree is worth in terms of payback on your investment. Engineering came up tops in everything but then I wonder where those guys live because engineers aren't usually paid great here. Being an American article, I imagine it's not like Asia where every other person is an engineer of some kind. You only need to look at the ethnic and national proportions over at Imperial to get an idea of the lack of distinction you go back to Asia with. That and the fact that whenever I do something stupid at home, my mum uses it against me. I do a lot of stupid things at home - all sense of independence and improvisation gets switched off, so I get "So you're an engineer, huh?" a lot as well.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, but it's New Year's Eve and I hope you have a good, safe time later. I was supposed to spend New Year's Eve with my family, but they all suddenly got really popular, so Bry and I are going to church for Watchnight.

I can't believe it's the 1st tomorrow, back to England in five days! So fast!

No comments: