Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Last game of the season

Wednesday afternoon saw 7 of us following Naomi through the crush of people that seem to throng Victoria Station at all hours on the way to play GKT 4ths for our last league match. They've remained unbeaten in our league all season and apparently Jade was supposed to have said, 'I don't even know why we're making this trip'.

On the way there we talked, as girls do, and it seems a lot of people won't be around next year. I sure hope Celina gets 3rds captaincy because I think she's a wonderful motivator, if a little intimidating with threats of forcing her players to attend all socials for some game time.

But it wasn't too far. Despite initial worries when I wasn't able to find North Dulwich on the street map, it turned out to be in zone 2 somewhere. We arrived early for once, giving us enough time for a warm up, which I braved in proper uniform. The wind was unforgiving however, and as soon as we finished warming up, I had to slip my tracks back on. Game play was a lot faster than last week's disaster and we won it - a great way to end a pretty good season.

I was actually hoping the ball would get back up to my end faster so I wouldn't have to think about the cold or the 6ft-plus keeper, and when I thought it couldn't possibly get any colder, it started snowing. At least GKT looked warm compared to us IC girls dashing around the court in sleeveless dresses.

I'm already looking forward to all the friendlies, and currently trying to put off learning my Italian vocab for the test tomorrow. I told Tom a couple of days ago that I'd talk to him as regularly as I could on MSN in preparation for the final, but he hasn't signed on since. I don't blame him, the conversation was grammatically incorrect most of the time and agonizingly slow. E stato molto paziente.

No comments: