Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Apron strings

My parents are always really really worried that I'm going to get distracted and flunk out of college, or that I'm going to get pregnant and lose complete track of who I am and what I need to do in life. In all realism, I'm extremely thankful for their concern, and I'm sure some of the 'we think you should focus more' speeches and emails actually do sink in, I mean they take a lot of care to phrase it very tactfully, but it does get irritating sometimes.

I'm used it, to a certain extent, I guess, I mean I get it at least once a term, but the most I can do from here is give them a vague 'Yes, Mum, I know' and hope that they accept it. It's what they want to hear. What else am I supposed to say? But how many times, do you think, will I need to reassure them that I haven't gone crazy, or worse, that I'm +gasp+ failing? I don't think it'll ever stop.

But I'm not sure I mind all that much. It used to drive me up the wall because even after so many years of top grades, they still feel the need to lecture me. I love them a lot and I do everything I can to not disappoint them. Sometimes the speeches hurt because it feels like they don't trust me, but I can understand how paranoid they are. I blame that on the media. Teenage girls are nothing but putty. Soft, impressionable putty. But not this one.

No comments: