Friday, October 22, 2004

Soapboxes

I don't know if students ever realise that because lecture halls are designed to carry noise i.e. the lecturer's voice from the board to the back of the hall, noise also carries, quite effortlessly, in the opposite direction. I wonder how many things a lecturer hears during the lesson are taken back to faculty meetings and laughed over in the Senior Common Room.

I also don't know how, if lecture theatres are designed as such, no matter how close you sit or strain your ears, some lecturers totally defy the physics of the architecture and spend the whole hour whispering to themselves.

There are so many lessons in which I've learnt more about the binge-filled weekend of a fellow coursemate two rows behind me than vector equations. As educational as puking technique can be, it nevertheless makes it very difficult to pass the math exam later in the year.

Meanwhile, I also find myself getting very excited by 'clever solutions' to tutorial questions, and reaching unbelieveable heights of happiness when I've completed entire tutorial sheets. I'm moving swiftly up the ranks of geekdom. I think I need help.

No comments: