Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Fly me to the moon

I feel so ill. Everything's catching up to me.

My groupmate and I spent most of the morning talking about a very detailed manufacturing plan based on nothing but guesswork and a little advice, struggling to confidently say, 'Yes, this is exactly how to make it". By our estimates, it could take anywhere between two hours and four months to make the bearing housing for our centrifugal pump, and we're not even sure half of the plan is physically possible.

Listening to us talk, one of my lecturers professed a fear of getting into an aeroplane knowing that people like us built it or designed it. Here are some fun facts for you to take along on your next long haul flight:
  1. The temperature of the gas coming out of the combustion engine is, at 14oodegC, way above and beyond the melting temperature of every single metal and metal alloy known to man. Four of those babies sit right under the wing.
  2. About 3mm of Aluminium is all that seperates you from the big blue.
  3. Flying into the wake of another plane pretty much accounts for all of the crashes caused by "mysterious circumstances". Turbulence, my ass.
  4. The next time you get away with overloaded baggage, think about how many other people managed that as well, and then add the Americans.


No comments: