Sunday, February 27, 2005

A rosy glow

Gosh where do I start...

Okay, well on Wednesday, Weng was lured up a day early with the promise of live football. Have I ever told you how funny it is watching a bunch of guys watch football together? They soon develop the same reactions as each other:

Goal - hands go up, a big cheer
Offside - one hand comes up, points at the screen, and insults the ref/linesmen.
Bad tackles - swears at the offending player or the ref for being biased
Roy Carroll catching the ball - everybody holds their breath and winces, and then there's even more swearing at Carroll for spilling.

Zhen Hao's fully entertaining to watch football with, he has a varied repertoire of vulgarities at his fingertips. A guy supporting ACMilan standing behind us was doing all of the above in Italian - that was quite scary.

Then Thursday was spent worrying slightly about Reach.

Friday I dragged most of my household out with me to buy foundation - the girls were the only ones supposed to come but the guys tagged along anyway, and picked up a French Manicure kit on the way.

So that French Manicure set promised salon-perfect nails in 2 Easy Steps, right? But eight hours later and about 17 repaints, I was still struggling. Maybe I'm just malcoordinated, but people should really gives girls more credit for their nail-painting skills. Weng thinks that's why girls are generally perceived by public opinion (he was very careful with his words otherwise I'd open a can of feminist whoopass on him) to be dumber than guys, because the fumes kill their brain cells.

Anyhow, by Saturday afternoon, after poisoning Weng for 8 hours, I had finally got it, albeit not the perfect finish I wanted, but beautifully done nails really finish off the outfit. Then started panicking a little more. Started getting ready two hours before I was supposed to be there but still ended up about half and hour late.

Great night though. It's such an honour working with all the talented he's and she's there that evening, and of course, all for charity. I feel so pink inside. But really I had so much fun, and everybody did an amazing job. The performances were flawless, even if some were a touch loud, and the audience was wonderfully patient.

High of the night: Pulling the Kai Leng Minogue stunt, thanks Kai Leng, for being so game about it all.
Low of the night: The sheer embarrassment after screaming at everyone to shut up, I really do apologise.
My favorite performance: Marcus Lim's act - great laughs there.

I have to say though, I was going to burst into tears after Everything's Not Lost and so worried that Jon and I would have to pull off a long dialogue afterwards with me even more incoherent than normal. Good thing the set change went so smoothly, and well done to the heart-wrenching delivery of that item.

Weng, hunny, thanks so much for keeping me on an even keel through the night!

No comments: