Friday, February 04, 2005

The Tower of London

The stone stairways wound upwards in a tight corkscrew, seeming endless, and definitely cramped. I was torn between needing more space to walk so that I wouldn't keep headbutting Weng's backpack and not wanting to lose sight of him around the corner, so I compromised by running into him over and over again when I did lose sight of him and panicked. It's hard sprinting up spiral staircases when there's someone in front of you, and I definitely didn't want to go first. You never know, there could be like, ghosts or something.

We saw 900 years of history in four hours and came face to face with the Tudor world of conspiracies, false charges, mystery, murder, and beheadings. So glam. We also took five 30 second movies which was basically Weng talking to himself and filming buildings and archways, and about a hundred pictures of buildings, archways, and armor. I'll put them up later.

It was a pretty cool place. Really...castle-y, and very interesting. The guides were awesome, if only they taught medieval-Stewart-Tudor history like that in school.

Me, having the asthetic appreciation of a magpie, was thrilled by the Crown Jewels (Darren, Evan, don't even think about it!) and as Weng put it "Wah, I didnt know there were so many!" . There was enough gold in one room to sink an armada, and enough diamonds to outshine Vegas. All that stuff must've weighed a frickin tonne. The Royal family are a lot stronger than we give them credit for, I think.

Walked under a huge portcullis that take thirty men to raise and lower, was told that Errol Flynn did it with one hand and got an Oscar for it, and basically revelled in every piece of history that seeped out of its cold stone walls. I have never enjoyed history so much.

No comments: