Monday, September 19, 2005

Hashing down memory lane

I was just thinking, my favorite movie line is "You have six smiles..." from Win a date with Tad Hamilton, after which he proceeds to explain all her smiles. So schweet.

Then there was today, which has been one of the rainiest Mondays I can remember, oh, and I saw Ewan Harney.

Who is Ewan Harney? A classmate from the tiny town of Miri and even tinier Shell school - the pale, scrawny kid. He managed to get a hold of Chay who got a hold of me. Who is Chay? Someone I used to carpool with, also from Miri and also from Piasau, who was really fat and had a bad haircut (which was in at the time, he claims). Fortunately both turned out good, and it was incredible seeing them after so many years.

It also turns out that I wasn't the only obsessive sociopath that has spent a great deal of time Googling whoever we could remember in a desperate attempt to get back in touch with primary school. Isn't that reassuring? Our combined search didn't turn up many people though, so for the sake of others who'll also spend an idle Sunday afternoon Googling old friends, here I am: Ashley See from Piasau School, Miri.

He showed me pictures. Mg, I wanted to cry. The Shell Camp is exactly the same, and so's the school and the Boat Club! Except that they've built a tall green fence around the entire expatriate settlement. Oh well, you gotta expect them to move with the times and the level of paranoia.

There was a lot of 'do you remember'. I never imagined I'd be sitting at Devi's corner with Ewan and Chay comparing memories and fitting missing pieces into each others' recollections. Boy were those naive times, really good naive times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude i went to piasau school, left in 1995 i know holly lythe u shud knwo here she was in ur year i was a couple of years below. Dude if u wana contact add me punk3d_fx@hotmail.com, im all of a sudden getting in contact with heaps of piasau former pupils

Anonymous said...

haha just realised ur ashely see!!! haha i was in cheryls class lol i used to go to ur house all the time, i went to cheryls birthday once lol