Wednesday, December 15, 2004

To my ohana

There's something heartwarming about emails coming in at the most random times from the most random people you once knew long ago. People who've made such an impact on your life but many of you whom you left without ever expecting to see again.

The KSIIS mailing group brings back the sultry nights, the gorgeous views, the hauntings, and all the laughs and sharing of three incredible weeks in an incredibly beautiful place. Then it gets you wondering about where they all are now, all over the States, all over Asia, having fun, stressing out, everyone looking forward to going home. I miss the smiles and the aloha's, I miss my ohana. I look at the pictures every so often, but not too often because it only seems to remind me how far away the memories are getting, how difficult it is to recall the music, the voices, the very people I promised to never forget. Everything feels so long ago.

The same goes with old friends who've headed south to do their degrees or decided to take other paths. Paths that lead away from the rest of us. It almost makes you want to cling tighter to those around you, so that they won't leave too.

But they're all still in my thoughts, no matter if they're five miles or five thousand away from me. I feel honored to be able to call such special people my friends. They may be far away, but they're most certainly never forgotten.

No comments: