Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Westernised beauty

It seems that ang-moh faces have more marketing value. They're everywhere. Caucasian or caucasian lookalikes that grace our Asian billboards as if they're a higher species of human saying "Here, buy this, we've endorsed it with our aqualine noses and deepset eyes."

I'm not bitter that my nose doesn't have much of a bridge, but I can see the casting agents now, "Ah okay, goot, you look abit angmoh, can can" and picking her over another less chiselled face just because the other girl lucked out in the gene pool or because her great-grandmother didn't dally with a British officer.

Is it our colonial past that we makes us hold on to the preconception that white skin and anything-but-black hair will put you well on the way to being beautiful? I guess that means the majority of Asians will only end up being cute or at the most exotic and never attain Kelly-Brooke-status without a team of plastic surgeons and a massive bill.

It's so wrong. We're on the rise and almost equals of our Western counterparts (oh damn, Colonial brainwashing strikes again) so surely we should determine the meaning of skin-deep beauty? We have the bigger market.

But until ideas change, I'm quite happy to sit here with my black hair and stubby nose secretly wishing that maybe just for a day, I could be red-headed, green eyed, and svelte.

No comments: