Saturday, July 23, 2005

I <3 Dad

Nothing says 'I love you' like a tube of Lancome sunscreen, a bottle of Miracle perfume, and a bunch of pilfered hotel toiletries. I guess it's reassuring that after 22 years of marriage Dad knows exactly how to make my mother happy.

It's also funny how after 20 years of welcoming my much-travelled father home, I still feel a twinge of excitement when he unpacks his suitcase right in the middle of the hall and we get to see what presents he's brought back. It's not like we're swamped with gifts and completely besides the point that he feels the need to unpack in the middle of the living room, but it always always brings me back to when I was about six.

Cheryl's leaving for Hawaii soon. I don't know how the house is going to hold together without Cinderella. None of the dishes will get washed properly, the laundry pile will most definitely become a biological hazard, and we'll all be doomed.

I'm going to go back to telling Dad all the things that have happened while he's been galavanting all over Asia and tell Mum that although it's hilarious (and probably even more so at 7am), the Chihuahua guy impersonation is quite mean. He can't help it that he was in the same 7am step class, or that he happens to like shaking and shimmying to that song.

No comments: