Friday, August 20, 2004

Across the causeway

I miss KL. I miss my family, I miss my friends. I miss the food. I miss the car, I miss astro, I miss my house...

I get homesick here a lot faster than when I'm in England, I guess it's partly because I'm alone. Even though I'm less far away, the psychological distance doesnt change. I grew up there, and real home's where my dog is (who always gets really upset when anyone's been gone a while). I've visited Singapore hundreds of times, but I've never stayed past a week. So right now, I really miss home*.

The past three weeks have been nothing short of a culture shock coming back here. Fighting to get on the train or on the bus, or to stay in line - the scuffles are vicious. Adapting feels more difficult than London because I'm supposed to know this city, I was born here, but it feels more foreign than any place I've ever been.

It's not that I hate being here. I love visiting my grandma, she's an awesome cook and looks after me so well, and I love playing with my baby cousin who only has to smile to get out of trouble. I love how it feels so safe and everything's really neat and clean, and I love how there are so many people who'll give you a bright smile in the street.

But it's not like KL. For all of it's crime ridden streets** and dodgy eating places (the dirt makes it taste better), and how everyone just moseys, I'd rather be there right now.

*For the geographically-challenged, KL's located somewhere between China and Australia.
**It's a little biased, I'll admit, but only because I recently got mugged.

No comments: