Thursday, August 26, 2004

Don't break a nail

I'm a girl and I do mechanical engineering and suddenly the laws of physics no longer apply and monkeys rule the world.

Whenever people ask me what course I'm doing, my answer is usually followed by a derisive snort and a 'but why?'. You have no idea how tired I am of hearing that question and that reaction to my reply. If a guy does mechanical engineering, he gets an approving nod and a 'that's a solid course to take', if you're a girl, they look at you as if you're imbecilic to even consider it. And I thought that society had progressed somewhat.

The reason I do mechanical engineering is because it is an awesome course, it's challenging, fulfilling, and I didn't like chemistry anyways. It must be genetic, my dad's an engineer and most of my cousins are engineers too. It's a professional degree and employers tend to like hiring engineers for their 'logical thinking capabilities'. So there, and girls do just as well as guys, and the whole course isn't about cars. At all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I happened to see your post on this and:

You've already answered the "but why?" question and:

I'll go on to say, good for you! Because:

I'm a gal and had considered taking mechanical engineering, but fate has it that I wouldn't.

^^