Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Of girl things

My boyfriend recently asked why Singaporean guys are called up to serve and do so much for their country while the girls aren’t under any similar obligation. I really wasn’t sure where his indignation was coming from because he’s Malaysian and he missed the age bracket for their newly implemented national service by two years, but I fully support the Singapore NS. It makes boys into men and brings them one tiny step closer to the amount that girls have to suffer through their whole lives.

It’s not that women don’t do anything; most people just miss out on the bigger picture. I’d like to see guys deal with the (severe) inconvenience of the menstrual cycle for a good third of their lives. I’d like to see them pass an egg out of a nostril. I’d like to see them manage their hormone cycles half the time and spend the other half apologising for it. Then I'd like to see them sweep all that pain under the mat and act like it never happens, wear three inch heels to work everyday looking absolutely perfect, then come home and have enough energy to clean up after everybody and attend to all kinds of demands. That is what we do for the country, we’re busy being women.

No comments: