Friday, September 10, 2004

In the fast lane

My days are completely filled with potential appointments – usually involving driving people or things around. It always starts with an “I need you to take me to this place at this time”, and with my family “this time” means “in ten minutes” if you’re lucky, otherwise it’s usually now. At which point I have to drop everything I’m doing and fetch or send someone to someplace.

My limo service doesn’t just apply to my mum, brother, sister, and dog, but my mum’s friends’ children or my sister’s friends as well, back and forth from their social appointments and tuition classes; and not just people, but anything from borrowed Tupperware to mattresses.

On good days, only about two or three demands will coincide with each other, other days I’m expected to be in five or six places at the same time. My family thinks that it takes between five and two minutes to go anywhere. I’ve tried to point out so many times that it already takes ten minutes to get them all out of the door.

I don’t need a car, I need a teleportation unit.

No comments: