Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Life's like that

em·pa·thy n.
1. Identification with and understanding of another's situation, feelings, and motives.
2. The attribution of one's own feelings to an object.

I don't think people fully grasp the concept of empathy. Surely if we really were 'feeling for' someone, we'd actually make a move to alleviate their situation? Or is the degree of empathy only measured by the closeness to that person, and their motivation to help similarly proportionate?

How many times have you said "I understand" or "I know what you're going through" and actually meant it? If you really did understand and it was very serious situation, surely you'd do everything you can to help... but then again I suppose that extending any sort of help involves some personal calculation first - namely 'How much is it going to cost me?'. Sometimes this deeply inbred instinct of self-preservation stops people from realising that we're all in the same boat, and only a lunatic would drill a hole in it.

It's a dog-eat-dog world out there and my cynicism's running on high right now.

No comments: