Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Of fish and other random things

I've gotten really good at Alt+Tab lately - fast reflexes and even faster fingers. I spent my lunchtime today reading about flatulent fish. Apparently herrings fart as a form of communication, and thus the gap between animal and human is narrowed further.

I was also thinking about digital cameras. I've decided that they're such hot sellers because they encompass two of the most popular pastimes of human beings the world over: 1) taking photos of themselves, and then 2) looking at themselves. We are truly so vain.

Anyhow, I spent most of the day struggling with instructions on the extremely user-unfriendly SAP (slow and painful) system. Apparently it's one of the most powerful tools in running a business, but it is unforgiving. With the fact that it involves so many number codes and references, my dyslexia took a pounding, and made me realise that all my intellectual synapses must've shut down over summer.

In true software fashion, it was system down after lunch. At first I was ecstatic at the implications of a work-free afternoon, but the joy was short lived - the internet had gone too, leaving me with two hours to recycle air before it came back online again.

I finished Elfstones of Shannara earlier this morning, it was entertaining, but reeked of Tolkien and the characters weren't as impressive. I guess there are only so many variations on the topic of quests and its related activities. I'm sad it ended though, I've got nothing else to read now.

No comments: