Saturday, June 04, 2005

I'd rather you not love me because I love you

Someone told me today of a very typical boy-girl story.

Boy meets girl, boy and girl are good friends, boy and girl fall for each other. One confesses their feelings, the other rejects the move.

Sounds very run-of-the-mill? It gets worse. They both feel the same way about each other, with the right kind of emotions to take it to a higher level, and the one that pulls away does so on the following grounds:
  1. I don't deserve her
  2. I would mess her up
  3. I would mess our relationship up
  4. I don't want to mess our relationship up
  5. I love her too much to put her through a relationship with me because I'm bad at that kinda thing

Firstly, it's way beyond promising that she has feelings for you and even more endearing that she's put herself out there. To play the melodramatic fool and reject her on the grounds of 'I'm saving her from me' is just stupid.

Why do so many people have themselves convinced that they're bad at relationships? If you've already got to the point where you have such strong feelings for each other, you're obviously doing something right, and it's clear you've got past that wierd communication bit where it's all 'Err, so, you like um, the color pink huh?'

Half the work is done getting them to even keep on talking to you, and while I hate to say it, once the relationship starts, love takes over and the freewheeling begins. When the freewheeling ends is of course another story for another day.

So unless you're so selfishly attached to your bachelorhood, carpe diem. There could be so much happiness in store for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Odd really... I seem to remember you (Ash) being the sort who defended the idea that you were incredibly bad for people. That they were this sort of posion which would cripple anyone who got too close.

In any case, I'm glad you've changed your mind about being bad for relationships. ^^

Ash said...

that's sweet. i guess i did change my mind. i found out i am a hopeless romantic