Saturday, April 09, 2005

Can you say photoshop?

One particularly slow afternoon I was sifting through the profiles of the people connected to me via Friendster, and being the picture book sort of person, that's pretty much all I clicked to see, pictures. There seems to be a fairly standard approach to the whole thing:

1. A flattering picture of you
2. A flattering picture of you and your other half (if appropriate)
3. A flattering picture of you and your best friend(s) - they don't have to look good, just you.

In the whole boring 20 minutes, I did not see a single unflattering picture of anybody - no one has the guts to put up an embarrassing photograph.

Which leads me to my next point. I wonder how long they took in choosing their pictures, what sort of effect were they going for as they slowly reveal how fun and interesting their lives, byte by byte, with the "in your face" happiness and perfected smiles.

'Coz, y'know, you flick through people's profiles, mostly those you thought were really wierd, despicably popular, or the ones you dated, and much to your dismay, they're still sitting high and mighty on the pile that is their life. It's nice to live in the past for one afternoon, but that's about enough for me. +shrugs+ And I'm not bitter. Or in denial. Haha, not me.

No comments: