Thursday, March 31, 2005

And this is the way we suck your cash

The Fitujus (name scrambled to avoid a lawsuit) service centre is stupid. The Monday after I touched down, I sent my poor baby, Rufus (yes, I named my laptop after a naked mole-rat), in to get fixed so it can run off battery again. There was a lengthy conversation with the service rep when it could've been "My adaptor is broken. The battery won't charge, but it runs off AC". It started out that way, but we had to wait about half an hour for them to carry out a 'quick' diagnostic test to tell me that my adaptor isn't working. I bloody told them it wasn't bloody working; and they slapped me with a receipt, a promise to call with news of the problem, and a RM120 service charge (exclusive of spare parts, mind you).

A week later of no call-backs, my mum called them. Oh boy did they get hell (my mum rocks). It had just so happened that they had taken out my laptop to look at that very morning. The sales rep on the other end tried to save her ass by saying, "Oh, Mrs. See, the technician has just told me that the adaptor is not working." Yes, I think so, we've established that, oh, only about four times!! At which point my mum replied, "No, my daughter told the technician the adaptor was not working."
"Oh, um, right, okay we'll check the battery and call you back."

About ten minutes later, she actually calls back (omg), and I pick up.
"Okay, the laptop can still work if you plug it in, but the battery won't charge."
No, really? That's exactly what I said.
"Yes, I already told you that."
"Oh okay, well your mother was very unhappy about the RM120 service charge, so we will waive that fee unless you want us to open the laptop, in which case we'll charge you. We think the connection between the battery and the motherboard is faulty."
"Can you replace that component then?"
"Um, no, see, the thing is, this laptop was designed such that you have to replace the whole board."
"How much would it cost me to replace the board?"
"RM1500."
You must be kidding me right, I mean c'mon, I could buy another totally kickass laptop with a little more. Stupid idiot.
"No, don't open it, I'll come and pick it up."
"Oh okay. Well it still runs if you plug it in so make sure you use a Fujitsu adaptor okay? You could ask your friend with the same model if they can charge your battery for you, I mean, what are friends for right?"
"I'll be there in half an hour."

And that's why Rufus is no longer mobile, and my new adaptor isn't even Fujitsu. +Pbbth+. They should've paid me for keeping my laptop for so long. +Grr+

1 comment:

The Ruud said...

welcome back to malaysia. and the service we have to endure -_-