Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Move it like that

Our building started swaying at about 12.10am so we evacuated, taking the dog too. Nothing like a midnight panic to get to really know your neighbours in their jammies. The evacuation proceeded like many Student Halls' fire alarms, some half-walked, half-ran in haste, some were straggling out at their own pace, and others just slept right through it.

I actually didn't feel it. My parents' and brother's description of the whole thing started at "I thought your mother was rolling over" and gradually escalated to "You could feel the WHOLE building sway SIDE TO SIDE!". The only reason I was standing up when they barged through the door to wake us up was because I was on the way to the bathroom. The dog didn't even feel it - they had to call her twice. I had to crash Devi's Corner for a bathroom stop.

As usual, the first person I called while standing in the carpark half awake was Weng, who thought that it was just the foundations of my building settling. He must've thought we were going out of our minds. It was on the news about fifty minutes later though. Last night it was 8.2 but that had increased to 8.7 by midmorning. The experts are also predicting a third one, only they don't know if it could be in the next week, month, year, or even century. Aha, experts.

No comments: