Monday, November 22, 2004

Engineering for dummies

Tishen's brought my course to a whole new level. I should take him to all my classes and get him to translate them afterwards...

Tish: So how was your pump meeting?
Ash: Not pump meeting, yield simulation...
Tish: Is that the one where you twist steel until it kaputs?
Ash: Yea that one
Tish: Oh, that kinda yield, not dividends.

and now he doesn't believe that I don't know what dividends are either. How typical is it for business managers and economists to complicate everything and then expect ordinary people to understand it. If everybody understood these things, they wouldn't have jobs.

Still struggling with the kaputting steel experiment. Running the program was easy, we just don't know how to apply it. When did we do 3D bendingmoments? (i.e. when you have one stick, and it bends this way and that way all at the same time)

Meanwhile, flat 8 has decided that we could go on University Challenge after watching one episode. We're that good. Yep, I can see the team now:

Fong May "We haven't learn't that part yet" Chew
Darren "I knew that!" Tan
HanWen "Oh wow" Goh
Jonathan "Damn, the door banged me again!" Lee
Ashley "I'm doing the wrong course" See

Also note that this particular household has turned GB into an extremely scientific pursuit, but the econs student was the first one to draw up all the variables i.e. wind speed, angle, wind direction, in an attempt to calculate precise trajectorial(?) thrust.

No comments: