Thursday, November 25, 2004

Still life

Do you remember pencil cases like I remember pencil cases? They were like magic carpetbags, deceptively small-looking, but with the complete contents of an entire stationery shop. The art of owning and maintaining a pencil case took years and years of training through highschool. Green metallic rollerball? Perfumed pen? Five speed mechanical pencil? Absolutely everything.

I write this, not because I have nothing better to say, but because I've suddenly noticed that my pencil case seems to generate random pieces of stationery. Look inside, and all the pens just lie there innocently, but oh, what's this? Another one? My ruler has reproduced asexually, my stapler has taken up residence between the pencil sharpener and the yellow highlighter, and my favourite pen hides right at the bottom. If they're not making baby pens, then they're hijacking them from everywhere else. I don't know, it's like a jungle in there.

No comments: