Monday, November 08, 2004

Superglue

Don't worry, it isn't another metaphorical article about relationships or social bonds or how people are just so sedentary nowadays, getting stuck in all kinds of metaphysical ruts. This is quite literally about superglue.

I don’t think people realize how important superglue is. It’s like the unsung hero of adhesives. Sure PVA gets all the attention what with it being so arty-fartily inclined, and of course rubber glue’s really fun to flick at people after it’s dried in globs, but the former dissolves on contact with water, and the latter’s equally as useless.

Superglue on the other hand is fully suited to all your daily gluing needs, as demonstrated in American Pie 2. My life however is no where near as exciting as that. I’ve used superglue to fix bathroom tiles, oven knobs, my retainer, and my glasses over the last few weeks. I don’t think I’ve ever noticed how useful it is.

If I didn’t have superglue to fix my retainers, my mum would be incredibly angry if she saw squinty teeth come Easter, and it would be another RM300 down the drain because orthodontists really make all their money by replacing people’s retainers. At RM600 a set, it’s no wonder that they’re rolling in it. Then again, I’m not sure how long the fumes will take to completely evaporate or whether superglue ever loses its toxicity.

If I didn’t have superglue to fix my glasses, I’d be sitting here, hunched over the keyboard, squinting at the screen. It took me seven tries to get it to hold because it broke at a very fiddly place and I got more glue on my fingers and the kitchen counter than on the join. But anyhow, it’s still setting, so I’m pretty much bent double over my laptop anyway.

This is really just another session of verbal diarrhea in the guise of an intellectually stimulating post while I wait for someone to talk to me. Has superglue brightened your day?

No comments: