Monday, January 10, 2005

Bad breakups

Someone once told me that getting over someone you really really love takes at least half the time you were going out with them. I was like, whatever, my indifference fueled by a refusal to believe that I'd be depressed or angry about it for that long.

Unfortunately it was true. It takes you that long to get over it simply because people just keep reminding you. For the first few months as news of your break up filters through the system, it's nothing but "Oh my gosh, but you guys were like so good together..." or the inane, but always necessary question "Are you okay?" Usually a case of grin and bear it with the completely insincere or end up crying your eyes out with the first person you call after you get your heart broken.

And then over the course of the next year, you'll have the random "Oh I heard you guys broke up! I didn't even know you were together. How're you doing?" from people who've been living on the otherside of the world or aren't on the grapevine. I think the most irritating comments have to be "I thought he wasn't good for you anyway" or "Did you know he's going out with so-and-so now?" which is a really sick way of telling you that your ex is blissfully happy while you're still crying into your pillow over him.

People can be so inconsiderate.

No comments: