Saturday, May 14, 2005

Owed

Gosh, two days to certain death and I feel amazingly balanced. I think I've broken right past the panic threshold and into dead calm. Dead. Calm.

Here's something to think about. When you're walking down the street and you see an acquaintance coming towards you, what do you do? It doesn't count crossing to the other side because you know them but don't like them. I mean what do you say? Do you acknowledge each other with a curt nod and a 'Hi', or do you stop in the street and strike up a conversation.

I never know what to do, worse still when you see them coming from a block away and have enough time to establish eye contact and rack your brains for something nice to say. How do you know if they're too busy to talk but nice enough to stop and put up with you for a bit? Or how do you know that they really want to talk to you because they haven't seen you in a while?

Or how do you prevent yourself from looking like a groupie, creeping them out, and going "Hi!!! How are you!!!", putting yourself out there with all those exclamation marks. It's a real problem that's had me going "Oh mg, what did I just do..." because I get absolutely thrilled seeing people I know on the street and saying hi, but it's hard to know when to stop the conversation, or even if you should start one, or whether it's really obvious that you haven't had much human contact lately.

Tough one.

This is no where near my usual level of eloquence because I'm struggling to memorise pages and pages of creep stuff and crack growth.

No comments: