Monday, May 09, 2005

Trial by algidity

At first there was blackness. Then a blinding yellow light chased the darkness into the furthest corners and an invisible fan whirred into life.

The once-warm mat felt dead under the soles of my feet as I stepped forward, goosebumps shooting up along my arms and legs. The pastel finish did little to warm my heart as the plastic door swung shut, rubber seals closed up against rubber seals. There was no turning back.

The tap gleamed ominously under the harsh lighting, the cold tiles seeming to close in tighter and tighter. My breath caught in my throat and my brow creased in anxiety as I tentatively reached for the handle, wishing there was another way, I flicked it up and drew back quickly.

The cascade of frigid water was rewarded by a sharp intake of breath.

Water off. Suds on. Water on. Suds off. And I reached gratefully for my towel with numb fingers.

No comments: